An application programming interface (API) specifies how some software components should interact with each other. The portal’s API provides a form of communication via XML or JSON coding language to push your fleet’s data (e.g., odometer reading, location, engine hours, etc.) from our system to your back-end systems (e.g., ERP, Dispatch, CRM). By using our API you can effortlessly integrate your fleet’s data into your back-end systems to provide transparency into payroll, fuel card transactions, additional documentation, asset management, and more.
Please create an API user with the appropriate vehicle access and permissions to use for APIs only. Password changes break the API data from flowing. For tokens, using an API App offers the following benefits: It does not allow access to the Portal site, it can be changed or deactivated by admin users, and app usage can be better tracked.
Think of our API as a pantry full of ingredients. All you have to do is create the recipes!
More details about our API v2, including step-by-step instructions and example requests/responses, are available here: http://gpsinsight.com/apidocs.
Did you know that our customers can contribute to our API documentation? If they have examples of interesting implementations, they can submit them via GitHub.
Some API integrations have already been defined. To extend the kitchen analogy, the recipe for these types of integrations has not only been created, but the dish is served up and fully baked for you.
GPS Insight integration with Dossier provides Odometer and Engine Hours (automatic updating of meter data) and Diagnostic Trouble Codes (automatic import and processing of vehicle DTCs to create a work request).
To set up units and schedule them for data transmission:
- Configure each on-board unit that will receive GPS data by selecting the desired services on the Dossier On-Board tab of the Unit Control Form.
- After a unit is configured to receive GPS data, click the Unit Info tab, and then click External Identifiers.
- In the External Identifier window, identify the external identifier to use (e.g., Meter Readings or DTCs), and then add the Serial Number from the GPS device. You can create an external identifier entry for each type; both use the same Serial Number for the unit.
- Under the Configuration menu, open the Scheduler.
- Under the Schedule Configuration tab, select the [Provider] Enabled check box.
- Populate the User Name and App Token fields from the GPS portal.
To obtain an App Token, log into the GPS portal. From the Menu Bar, hover over the Account menu, point to Manage Users, and click Third-party access to api V2 functions. In the API Apps List grid, click API App next to Create New. In the New API App window, enter an App Name and Description, and click Save API App. A new App Token is generated. For more information about app tokens, refer to the API documentation.
- Click Save.