Attributes allow you to add custom, descriptive properties to your landmarks, which allows you to provide extra information to a recipient whenever an applicable landmark alert is triggered–like a gate code or a note about a safety concern at the property (e.g., guard dog).
Company XYZ has several dispatch centers in Arizona that require access codes for driver entry. These access codes change frequently, so management would like to notify drivers of the code(s) using an alert whenever they enter the landmark.
To create and assign landmark attributes:
- From the portal, click the Account menu, click Manage Vehicles, and click Describe with attributes.
The Manage Attributes page opens in a new browser tab.
- At the bottom of the Attribute Definitions grid, click Attribute next to Create New.
The Add New Attribute screen window appears.
- Set the different properties for the attribute:
- Attribute Name: Enter the user-friendly identifier for the attribute (e.g., Access Codes).
- Attribute Type: Select the check box(es) for each type this attribute supports (e.g., Landmark).
- Value Type: Choose the data type that is allowed for this attribute. In the Company XYZ example, we chose Alphanumeric so that we can use free-form text to describe the available values.
The Alerts, Emails, and Timezone types are typically used with Hierarchy attributes.
- Treat as Category: Select this box to create a list of values from which to choose when applying this attribute to landmarks. In the Company XYZ example, these codes change frequently, so we set up this attribute without a category.
- Account Visibility: Select the check box(es) if you want other portal users on your account to see and use this attribute and/or edit this attribute.
- Click Save Attribute.
- From the Attribute Definitions grid, click the green check mark icon(s) (e.g., Landmark) to assign values.
- From the Assign Landmark Attributes grid, set the attribute value for each landmark that you want to assign. Values are automatically saved when you either make a selection (for pre-defined lists) or click/tab outside of the field (for text entry).
The attribute is now available to use on applicable alerts: